Sunday, May 8, 2011

HAPPY MOTHERS'DAY!

My mother is no longer living and my daughters both live far away so Mothers' Day is usually not a special day for me.  However, my friend, Sandra aka The MadSnapper, had a special treat in store for me today!
It started with this email:

IMG_1522 copy
Then, it was off to the Jungle!

We were the first visitors of the day, so the residents were eagerly awaiting our visit.



Some were still grooming.

One was not quite ready to start the day.


                                                  
One was talking and laughing.

And one was trying to escape!


We moved along to visit the flamingos (after taking many many more parrot photos).




A Contented Couple


A living pretzel!

I am the Flamingo Whisperer!


I'm ready for my closeup.



BUT THE BEST PART OF THE VISIT
was a female flamingo digging her nest and laying egg(s)
 ON MOTHERS' DAY!


Digging her nest

Laying egg
[Flamingos lay only one egg]






She is now surrounded by her bodyguards
or else they were just cheering her on!

TODAY I CELEBRATE
Those who give us birth and those who nurture us
no matter what species!!!

5 comments:

MadSnapper said...

love it love it love it. we had so much fun... and the flamingo laying her egg was one of my most fun things ever. i will link to this post when i do mine, and can i use one of these photos of yours to link to your post? i will state you took it.

Unknown said...

Great post Judy, Flamingos are so odd you've got a great capture here.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hi Judy, remember me? I was one of your first followers! I thought you had given up blogging till now when I read about you in Sandra's blog!! I didn't know you still had your blog, and it's really nice! Glad you kept at it! LOVE your pictures!!! This sounds like the greatest adventure, I wish I could have seen it. Sandra will tell you I'm always bugging her to post the birds...I used to live in Maryland, from the age of thirteen till I was married. I was born in D.C.

Ann said...

I read about your mother's day adventure on Sandra's blog and came over to see your shots of it. What an awesome way to spend the day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Mama. I'm so glad you had a special day. I cannot say that your other daughter...the bird-o-phobe...would find the flamingo thing quite so enchanting, but I'm glad you were there to witness the miracle of flamingo reproduction.
Love you!
Amy